Friday, July 6, 2012

Dirty Thursdays 6/21 - 7/5



During the last few weeks Dirty Thursday crews have moved back onto the yellow trail to address some touch-ups to eroding areas and some minor re-routes to fall line sections.

The most recent re-route was originally to be placed across a grassy 20% side slope to the east of the trail, which was in a 35% fall line. As Art and I were laying out a turn for pin flagging, Art noticed we had drifted too close to another trail in this narrow corridor. Art quickly looked for another option on the other side of the trail which was much more rocky. Although there was a tad more work needed on the other side, the result was fantastic, as the trail now passes through areas of glacial erratics, ferns and rock features.

One thing that Art and I have learned is to keep an open mind with the route. Sometimes a trail designer can find what they think is the holy grail of routes, but one small part of that route is not right in design. Many times we have had to abandon our plan and rethink options, until we find a better solution. The final result has always been better than the first plan. This is why taking our time with planning is very important for us. After spending most of our trail building years maintaining poorly designed trails, we have developed a greater appreciation for a well designed trail.






volunteers: Manny and Jeff that braved the heat to work

After last nights build, I rode out of the woods as the sun set to my west. What was a very hot day, was now surprisingly comfortable in the the shade of the woods with the occasional gentle breeze. As I rode down the final trail before reaching the lot, my shoes bouncing back and forth tied to my pack, the sun washed the woods orange leaving only my shadow in front of me. I felt thankful to be riding my bike, a little sweaty, covered in dirt, and there at that exact moment.

-Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment